Daitokuji was built as name of Go-kaji in 1575
by Motochika Chosogabe ,
a military commander
of the Warring States period.
First it was erected the east of Mt, Go-ka,
however while mid of 15th century,
it encountered a fire disaster.
After every buildings of temple was
burnt to ashes, the temple was rebuilt
at the present place
and altered the name of Go-kaji to Daitokuji
for a Japanese word go-ka
associates with flame.
In 1871, however,
Daitokuji was destroyed again
by political movement against Buddism
spread all over Japan at that time.
It was so disastrous that
almost all of temples was vandalized.
1910, buddist priest, Hoten Kitagawa,
a descendant of Masamune Date,
also a military commander of
the Warring States period visited this place
while his pilgrimage in Kochi.
The tragic sights made him decide to rebuild
13 destroyed temples in Kochi.
About Daitokuji, his plan has started
when his son , Ko-ko became
a priest and took charge.
It was tremendous hardship for him to rebuild
a temple from nothing but a mulberry field
And yet in 1937, with his constant effort,
a main hall of the temple
and the others has completed.
In 1950, Ko-ko's son, Ken-yu became a priest
and succeeded his father's mission,
made a big effort for the progess of the temple
and moreover, started a social enlightenment
work and established a nursery school
in 1985, after Ko-ko passed away,
his last wish for change of a sect at that time:
Daigo to Ko-yasan where he grew up
In 1992, the wills of forefathers has
succeeded to a priest, Washo
and he started to realize the great undertaking
over three generations
which is to reconstruct the temple
and restore a principal statue.
In 2010, finally he accomplished those
reconstructions and restoration.